Posted By: DAN, Posted In: Applications, at: 2015-03-24 07:16:55 EST.
Twitch Paints was a fun project that required I piece together a bunch of different technologies. It allowed people to collaboratively draw shapes onto an html5 canvas with simple chat commands.
- Install and configure an IRCd2 server on my VPS for the backend connection
- Build and customize KiwiIRC for the frontend client
- Implement (And bug fix) Jtripper's IRC bot
- Learn Python, create plugin to execute user commands
- Commands open and write to ircpaint.js file
- Tie it all together
- Left iframe is an html5 canvas that reloads and populates from ircpaint.js
- Right iframe is the KiwiIRC client that allows you to communicate with the bot
This is a video explaining the process and showing the result!
It's such a fun little project that I even demoed it in front of a hundred or so nerds at an impromptu 5-minute "Lightning Talk" at the last Chippewa Valley Code Camp event.